Wednesday, April 04, 2007

San Antonio, Texas

Well, we did make it to San Antonio last night, but the drive took a good 6 hours instead of the 4 we thought it would take. Between potty breaks, a Wal-Mart run, potty breaks, stopping for food, and potty breaks, the trip took a little longer (I'm thinking that having everyone wear diapers would not have been a bad idea after all, ha ha).

A little back-tracking...

In Dallas we went to The Sixth Floor, the JFK assasination museum. "Why," you might be asking, "would you take your children to a place like that?" Well, I must admit, the museum was a little bit over their heads, and maybe a little sobering, but it was still very interesting to see the place where JFK was shot and to learn a little more history on the subject.







Though this looks like just a picture of a street, the "X" you see in the middle of the street is where JFK was shot. The two handome men in the background (the one in the blue shirt who's holding the one in the green shirt) are my huband and son.



Here are Daisy and Twiggy sitting on "The Grassy Knoll".


Fast forwarding...


Today in San Antonio, we went to see the Alamo. Is that where Custard had his last stand? I think I learned too much of my history from Patch the Pirate. : ) No, seriously, another interesting landmark in our nation's history that if you are ever in the San Antonio area I would highly recommend visiting...or if you are homeschooling your children (Froggy) and would like to take a little field trip during your study of the Alamo ; ). Call me really dumb, but I did not know that Davey Crockett was killed at the seige of the Alamo...guess I should have paid more attention in my history classes.


Well, so far it may seem like we've had a kind of morbid vacation (at least the sight-seeing part), but we are hoping to take the kids to the zoo and the gulf on Thursday and Friday. They were very excited to get to our final destination, Los Fresnos, this afternoon, where we will be spending the next three days...a few days of not riding in the car is always a good thing for small children, a pregnant woman...and her husband. I'll close with a few pictures of the kids during their favorite pasttime:


I forgot to tell you...

We do have pictures of the Alamo, but we'll have to post them when we get back. I did not have the memory card in the camera and forgot the connecting cable at home. Oops!

7 comments:

Marti said...

Thanks for keeping us updated! You appear to be enjoying the warm weather. You picked a good week to be gone--yesterday felt colder than any day this winter (although it really wasn't--we've just become wimps).

Talk to you soon!

Jodi said...

Sounds like . . . fun! ;) Hopefully your kids won't start having nightmares, what with all the memorialized carnage. I hope you took lots of pictures of the Alamo to show Baba.

You certainly did pick a good week to be gone. I'm about ready to pick up and drive to Texas myself.

molly said...

So glad it's going well!
When you get back we'll have to loan you the Davey Crockett movie. Much like your "Patch the Pirate" experience, I learned history from Disney!

It is FREEZING here! I think Easter looks like a high of 42.
Enjoy the warmth! :)
Love you!

Jeremy and Amy said...

Looks like you're having fun! I went to the Alamo with my family once; it is an experience I will never forget! Very sobering, but I learned alot from it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sissy! Glad to see you had a good time in San Antonio. I was there about a year ago with my (then) future bride-to-be and mother- and father-in-law. We visited the Alamo and went to the Riverwalk, which is also a great place.

San Antonio is where Drina's brother and his family lives (the ones at the wedding with 14 kids - they have 15 now). Say hi to them if you see them...he he. They'd be pretty hard to miss if your paths crossed.

Love you,

Johnny

De said...

I was thinking about it and realized we really miss you all but I think you should stay down there because I want to go too!

Looks like you are having a great time. We can't wait till your back.

Destiny said...

soooooooo cute how is it over there? say hello to your kids for me. have a grate time!