Monday, February 26, 2007

The Power of the Cross

I have been coveting a certain CD ever since it came out, which wasn't really very long ago, but thanks to Jason and Andrea (thank you!) I now have it. I love the words one song in particular, but by the looks of it, all the songs are wonderful. Enough of my typing, I'll let their words speak for themselves:

The Power of the Cross by Keith Getty and Stuart Townend

Oh, to see the dawn
Of the darkest day:
Christ on the road to Calvary.
Tried by sinful men,
Torn and beaten, then
Nailed to a cross of wood.

(Refrain)
This, the power of the cross:
Christ became sin for us;
Took the blame, bore the wrath--
We stand forgiven at the cross.

Oh, to see the pain
Written on Your face,
Bearing the awesome weight of sin.
Every bitter thought,
Every evil deed
Crowning Your bloodstained brow.

Now the daylight flees:
Now the ground beneath
Quakes as its Maker bows His head.
Curtain torn in two,
Dead are raised to life:
"Finished!" the victory cry.

Oh, to see my name
Written in the wounds,
For through Your suffering I am free.
Death is crushed to death;
Life is mine to live,
Won through Your selfless love.

(Final refrain)
This, the power of the cross:
Son of God--slain for us
What a love! What a cost!
We stand forgiven at the cross!

1 comments:

Name: Karen said...

This is one of my favorite songs we sing at our church. It brings tears to my eyes every time. I recently got the sheet music for it and just the score is moving.

Thank you for posting such truthful lyrics.