Thursday, October 01, 2009

Promises

After this many of His disciples turned back and no longer walked with Him. So Jesus said to the twelve, "Do you want to go away as well?" Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life..."

I love this passage because it so much echoes the cry of my heart right now. When I read passages like that in Matthew 24 where Christ tells us that we "will be hated by all nations for My Name's sake" I kind of feel claustrophobic as I think about how truly tangible this is, not just where we live as a family, but all over the world. I mean, really! Is following Christ really worth the promise of ridicule, hatred, even death? Life would be so much easier if I were to give up and be washed away in this world and all the pleasures it has for me! In all honesty, the thought has crossed my mind on more than one occasion lately.

But God draws me back (as He so faithfully does) to the Truth of this passage in John chapter six. Where would I go? What better offer is there? Oh, the world has a lot to offer me that looks so good, but what happens when it's gone? Wh at then? This world offers me neither salvation, nor does it offer me a savior. Not only does Christ have the words of eternal life, but He is eternal life! Christ makes this life worth the pain! Oh God, help me endure!

4 comments:

The Mattfelds said...

Amen, my dear friend. Nothing tastes as sweet as abiding in Him, the ONLY One who can truly satisfy, especially when faced with trials or uncertainty. How sweet it is to walk fearlessly in the strength of Christ. I am so blessed by who you are in Christ, and what you and Paul are doing. Love you!

Mimi said...

I know we've talked about the thought that persecution and hard times could surely be on their way, and I've at times had these same thoughts. And I've prayed that same prayer, "Lord, help me endure!" I have it so easy, and sometimes I seem so weak even in my ease. But then His grace is sufficient for today, not for tomorrow, or even for thoughts of tomorrow. For today!! One day, one moment at a time, He promises to be sufficient. And He is!!!

Mimi said...

P.S. I'm so very thankful for you and your family and your testimony!

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.