Tuesday, February 06, 2007

A Must Read!

I highly recommend the book, "The Heart of Anger" by Lou Priolo to anyone who has children-- regardless of age--or is planning on having children, or if you know of any children who could use some biblical discipline (excluding mine because I'm already reading the book : )). I am reading it right now and...well, for lack of better words, "it will lay you flat" as a parent. The book centers around Ephesians 6:4 where God commands, "Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord." The author addresses the "thoughts and intents of the heart," not only of angry children, but also of their parents.

It's chapters include:

Angry Kids
Provocative Parents
Angry Attitudes
Discipline: What It Really Means
Practical Biblical Communication
Journaling: A Helpful Tool
What's at the Heart of Anger?
Getting Anger Problems Right
Disrespect and Manipulation
Conquering Disrespect and Manipulation
The Think Room
The Appeal Process
A Good Investment

Lest I say too much, I'm signing out now. Enjoy the book (okay, maybe enjoy is not the right word)!

3 comments:

Jodi said...

I started reading the book but didn't get very far because the guy had the nerve to suggest that I needed to get rid of my anger as a parent. Hey, I was reading the book to get rid of anger in my kids, leave me out of it!

Of course, by now you (hopefully) realize I'm speaking tongue-in-cheek. ;) I do plan to finish reading this book someday.

See you in a few hours!

Keri said...

I hear ya! Here when I picked up the book I immediately thought, "Daisy" but then the author went and pointed a finger also at me. Hmph!

Like any book that is not the Bible, there are a few things I question, but overall an excellent book and one I would like to add to my library.

mitchells2000 said...

I have been through the book at least twice in different Bible Studies. How true that children exhibit the failures of their parents (and maybe that's why I don't have any... the world couldn't handle another little Heather, 1 degree (or more) worse!) It is definitely a book that you can't read in one sitting. I have a love/hate relationship with books like these. I love them b/c it helps me change... I hate them b/c they reveal so much WRONG I feel like throwing it out the window!